RE: mail still arriving to deleted accounts

  • From: "Bob Smith" <ishmell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:42:26 +0000

ok, so, to clarify, you have a spam system already, that catches spam and puts it into a mailbox for you to check over, but you are saying that it catches spam destined for mailboxes that no longer exist, yet its shunted to your catch-all mailbox and just clutters it up, making looking for false positives an even harder task.

i hear ya.

unless your spam system supports checking exchange for existance of mail account or not, then you're stuck.

you might consider dumping current spam solution for one that is better integrated with exchange.

amal ;)

From: "Marvin Cummings" <mcummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: mail still arriving to deleted accounts
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:33:17 -0500

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Yes I mean being delivered to existing and deleted users. I currently have the mail being forwarded to an account I use to manage all spam hitting the server. This account is holding all of the crap that's being sent to multiple existing and deleted user accounts. The only problem is that I do get false-positives from time to time so I'm wondering if I can keep mail from arriving to the user accounts that I know are deleted from the network?

Thanks

-----Original Message----- From: Bob Smith [mailto:ishmell@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 5:24 PM To: [ExchangeList] Subject: [exchangelist] RE: mail still arriving to deleted accounts

http://www.MSExchange.org/

If by "delivered to them", you mean that mail is still being sent to those
addresses, but not stored in a mailbox (thus, an NDR is being sent out)..
then there is nothing you can do about it. IF you mean that this mail is
being stored in some mailbox that has no user account, then you need to
either purge the mailbox or assign it to a dummy account and then delete the
dummy account and mailbox.

Amal ;)

------------------------------------------------------ List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ ------------------------------------------------------ Other Internet Software Marketing Sites: Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com ------------------------------------------------------

Get a FREE online virus check for your PC here, from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963