[ExchangeList] Re: is using site link cost a good idea

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:20:13 -0400

The primary reason RGCs were removed is that it's duplicate code. The AD KCC
and ISTG were developed from Exchange's link-state code.

You can completely duplicate your RGC setup with AD sites. You have the
capability to set exchange-specific site costs and you have the capability
of defining a specific HT(s) as a bridgehead server to allow you to
completely specify your mailflow. You don't need to involve the AD team.
Now, as bandwidth is a shared resource between AD and Exchange - you
probably should. And you probably should be involving them in those
discussions with Exchange 2003.

The only reason you might need to involve the AD team is if you need a site
that doesn't already exist, but is instead being covered by another site.

Your HT has to talk to AD anyway, to know what mailbox server hosts a
mailbox. Saying that it is because of site routing is specious.

If you couldn't find a mail-flow issue, even when working with PSS, you
should have requested escalation.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith

MCITP:SA,EMA/MCSE/Exchange MVP