iis...not happy (and me)

  • From: "George Duncanson" <geo@xxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:24:04 +0200

Dear All

Grateful for any thoughts. Win 2k sp4, e2k sp3

I can no longer configure iis. I get an "error connecting to.... The system
cannot find the path specified etc"  or I get "unable to connect to target
machine". I've even had "access denied".

I've tried reinstalling IIS to no avail. I think there is an RPC problem at the
root of this as the RPC service eventually unexpectedly stops.(7031 error)

I also  get a couple of nasty errors when I try to reinstall Exchange. The
install log gives me an Access denied error(0x80070005) when trying to write
IIS Metabase objects for the information store.

The first error I have is a 116 error "the service metabase path /LM/MSFTPSVC
could not be opened" , then a 7023 FTP publishing can't find the path
specified, then the exchange routing engine terminates "cannot find specified
path". 18 mins or so later the RPC service unexpectedly quits.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit vague here. I've tried KB and the web but I'm not
exactly sure anymore (was I ever?) what is causing the problem and everything
I've tried gets me no further ahead.

Metaedit tells me that it can't connect to the LOCALHOST.
Could this be something with DNS?
I'm not exactly new to Exchange 2000, I merely feel like it everytime I get
this sort of grief.

Thanks for any input.