how to stop Outlook setting the exchange account as default

  • From: "SteveWa" <redhat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:21:01 -0500

Help, this is driving me crazy...

I installed Exchange 2003 as part of Server 2003 SBS. I also have a 3rd party
email server installed on the same box. It is argosoft mail server, and we use
it for our public email accounts.

Our problem is, user's outlook works fine sending and recv when their email
account in outlook is set to the argosoft mail server as the default. for
example joe@xxxxxxxx as default. it sends mail using the argosoft mail server.

But every other day, Outlook changes the default email account to be Microsoft
Exchange Server. Then they send out email, but it never goes anywhere, because
the Exchange server does not deliver mail, the argosoft service does.

Why does it keep changing the default email account back to exchange?

How can I stop it?

Is there a problem with running a 3rd party mail server like argosoft on the
same server as exchange?
I can't seem to have the SMTP service under exchange running at the same time
as the argosoft smtp service.
If I stop the argosoft SMTP service and activate the Exchange SMTP service the
mail goes out, but then no outside mail comes in. I tried setting up a SMTP
connector but I can't figure out how to point it to the argosoft server (same
ip...) so exchange will use that to send mail.

i appreciate any help because i feel stupid...