RE: hosting own SMTP mail

  • From: "Jeffrey Robillard" <jrobill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:30:01 -0500

you would need to use static nat if your firewall does not support mail proxy.
  static a public ip address which would be advertised in the public dns mx
list.   this static ip would map to the internal address of your smtp server
(whether its exchange, groupwise... whatever).   only allow the smtp port
through unless you wish to do other protocols (pop3, web access, etc).

if you firewall supports mail proxy then the firewall itself would collect all
the mail and store it in cache.   when its able to contact the internal smtp
server it would dump it all down to it.   this all happens in real time if your
internal smtp server is always up.   this way you still get your mail if you
take your mail server down.   you dont have to use your firewall for this...
there are other products on the market that do the mail proxy service.
usually these other products can do filtering for spam, antivirus, etc.   if
you have a mail proxy then the mx record would point to the publich address of
the mail proxy server.

as for a test,
open the necessary ports on the firewall for your exchange server and from an
external machine just telnet to the public address of your mail server.  If you
get  "220 mailserver.domain.name Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version:
5.?.????.???? ready at [date]" then it should be mostly working.  next use
outlook express from the public side of the network and configure the smtp
setting to the public address of your mail server.  Try sending mail through to
different internal users.   If it goes through then you know you can receive
mail.   Next, change the outlook express smtp setting to "my smtp server
requires authentication" and type in a valid user that has the ability to send
mail with SMTP.   Without this you shouldnt be able to send mail to outside
users  (keep in mind if they reply it will not go back through your mail server
becuase your public mx record on dns still points to your ISP's mail server)
because, if configured correctly, exchange doesnt allow relays.    If it works
with it, then you know you can send mail.

After that... there shouldnt be anything else but a cut over.

Not sure what the TTL is on your DNS records.   It might take a few days for
the cut over to actually happen if the TTL is long.   This is because your mail
servers address (which is currently you ISP) will be cached on other mail
servers.   Once the TTL expires it will lookup from DNS your mx record again.
Assuming its changed it will grab that.

This is what I would do anyway.   Others might have easier ways... but its
pretty straightforward I think.   Honestly though.. I think I would do all this
behind the firewall first.. on your private lan.   This way you dont have to
open holes in your firewall until you know positively that things are working
(except for sending smtp out.. you will need a hole for that).

good luck.