RE: forwarding emails and licensing

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:30:52 -0400

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:15:30 -0400, William Holmes
<wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Hello,
>
> And what about a contact? Does that require a CAL?  If not, how is a mail
> enabled user different from a contact. Neither one can actually access the
> exchange server.

I am no MS licensing expert, but here is my understanding:

We have more users than devices connecting directly to our Exchange
server, therefore Microsoft recommends that we purchase enough
Exchange Device CAL's for all the devices connecting DIRECTLY (through
Outlook, PDA, POP3, IMAP, etc.) to the Exchange server.

If we have 200 users, but only 150 devices running software which
connects to Exchange server directly, then we would only need to
purchase 150 CAL's - Device CAL's specifically.

In other words, if they are not accessing the Exchange server
directly, then they do not need a CAL.

...D