Re: forwarding emails and licensing

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:10:43 -0400

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:57:22 -0400 (EDT), A. M. Salim
<msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a client who has about 20 real mailboxes, and then they have about
> 80 users who won't have email boxes, just forwards to an external email
> like their personal AOL or a hotmail accounts.  This is for a church.
> The only method I can see in Exchange requires me to install "real mail
> enabled accounts" for each one and then set each one to forward, but from
> a CAL (licensing) point of view, these 80 users would still have to pay
> for a CAL license even thought they are not really using Exchange other
> than as a forwarding engine.
> Any ideas on how I can accomplish this without making having to set up
> real mail enabled accounts in Exchange?

You would purchase enough device CAL's for all the devices (PDA's,
computers with Outlook connecting directly to the Exchange server,
etc.), and you do not need to worry about CAL's for all the other
forwarded mail.

There are Device & User CAL's for Exchange. In your case, if mail is
being forwarded to external addresses, you would only need CAL's for
the devices connecting directly to the Exchange server.