RE: forwarding emails and licensing

  • From: "Maglinger, Paul" <PMAGLINGER@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:55:44 -0500

Would that include custom recipients?

-----Original Message-----
From: A. M. Salim [mailto:msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 10:50
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: forwarding emails and licensing

> I'd argue with your interpretation of this licensing spec. By defining a
> user account, giving it an address (which becomes a personally
> attribute related to the person in question), and forwarding mail that
> to that address, I believe you are indeed "using the server software."

Well I just got off the phone with my Microsoft Licensing rep (a MS
employee, not a local distributer or partner) and after a detailed
discussion, he agrees with the above interpretation, i.e. all forwarded
users would definitely need CALs just like any other user, because the
email is indeed hitting the Exchange server and using it's resources.

Best regards

List Archives:
World of Windows Networking:
Leading Network Software Directory: