forestprep difficulty with Back Office

  • From: "Larry Kuhn" <lkuhn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:56:01 -0600

Hi,

We have Back Office 2000 and I've prepared the host machine for Exchange
(Active Directory running fine and DNS working well, event log free of
errors).

When I run drive:path:setup /forestprep it goes through all the correct
sequences, BUT it doesn't make any of the accounts Exchange is supposed to
make such as Exchange Administrator (I do get Back Office Administrator
and another BackOffice account). It doesn't generate any errors.

I can run domainprep and it makes the correct accounts. I can install
Exchange and it runs just fine (no errors), however when I run a
domainprep on other DC's that I want to create users on to authorize them
for Exchange Mailboxes and other tasks, that doesn't work. I suspect it is
because forestprep didn't run correctly on the forest root DC?

I have removed Exchange and done all the removal of the registry keys that
MS suggests with BackOffice and Exchange. I went to re-run forestprep
again and get the same behavior.

I'm wondering if this is a BackOffice difference (creating different
accounts than one would expect with a straight Exchange 2000 forestprep)
or something else?

I can't find much other info from MS so now I'm hoping someone else has
run against the wall as I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated!