[ExchangeList] Re: file filtering best practice?

  • From: "Arnold, Jamie" <harnold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:38:33 -0400

Zero day is what I'm concerned about.

From: exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Teo De Las Heras
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:23 PM
To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ExchangeList] Re: file filtering best practice?

Is there a settings where it would block zip attachments based on an
outbreak?  Normally your AV software should block any zip's with known
viruses.  The risk is that a new virus comes out, propogates via zip,
and noe of the AV vendors can identify.  In this case, an outbreak
'flag' would block/quarantine all zips temporarily.

On 7/25/06, Arnold, Jamie <harnold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        In dealing with zip files specifically, I' m wondering what is
considered the "best practice "?  We simply remove the file at our edge
proxy, but have been getting a little flack from a few users.  Our data
shows that nearly 94% of the .zip files that come in via email are
infected so I' m not likely to be convinced to allow them through.

        What say you?