RE: fax software for small network running exchange 2000

  • From: "Cresswell, Charles" <charlesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:06:40 -0000

I briefly tried GFIFaxmaker and it seemed to work quite well. It allows
faxing from Outlook as well as provides a virtual printer (using the
normal LPR printing protocol in Windows) for printing directly to the
fax. It will 'OCR' the printed documents looking for a keyword like FAX:
and then send the fax to the number following the text. The only
requirment seemed to be that you need to install Office and Acrobat
Reader on the machine running the printing (either that or the exchange
server .. cant remember which atm) for it to do the OCRing work on
office and pdf files.

There is also an installable client for more options.

You need to check your modem compatability though. Some are specifically
listed as working well with GFIFaxmaker, others are more generic but
should generally be ok. It seemed to install and uninstall from Exchange
without a hitch.

I intend to look at using the software again in about 6 months when we
are out of the contract period for our current fax machines. There is
also a Windows Server version if you don't want to risk your Exchange
server.

Regards

Charles
IS Manager