exchange backup and defrag

  • From: "Chris McNally" <cmcnally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:30:25 -0700

Hello all,

Two questions:

1) I have been unsuccessful performing an offline defrag of the IS,
problem seems to be that datastore and transaction logs are on different
partitions? Priv1.edb and pub1.edb are on d:\ drive. Transaction logs
are on e:\ drive, priv1.stm and pub1.stm are on c:\ drive. I think my
problem lies in getting them all located when running the defrag utility
but I can't discern switches needed or other methodology. Any help here
greatly appreciated.

2) When I backup my Exchange box I get approximately 25GB of data but my
.edb files are 14GB, the .stm files 2GB and the transaction logs 50MB.
What am I not understanding that results in a backup of 25GB?