[ExchangeList] exchange auth smtp

  • From: "Jeffrey Robillard" <jrobill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:33:00 -0500

I was wondering if somebody could give me a couple of pointers on what I
am doing wrong.

I have a a virtual smtp service in exchange system manager.  Its all
configured and I can send email.  Once that was working I disabled
anonymous authentication and enabled only the windows authentication.
However, regardless of what username and password I put in outlook
express, the mail goes through.    The only time it doesn't go through
is if I put no username in outlook express.

This to me means, there is no authentication happening, its only
checking that credentials exist.. and doesn't confirm credentials.

I have also tested using the basic authentication with and without TLS.
I basically get the same results with basic authentication, however with
TLS nothing goes through regardless of who I authenticate as.

Thoughts?

Exchange 2k
Windows 2k

Confidentiality Notice

Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be
privileged.  It is intended for the addressee(s) only.   Access to this e-mail
by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or
copying of the contents of this e-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in
reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful.   If you are not an
addressee, please inform the sender immediately and delete this message from
your system.