[ExchangeList] Re: exchange and multiple servers/hosting

  • From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:15:32 -0700

On 21 Mar 2008 at 10:15, Michael B. Smith wrote:

> > in the Vancouver AD, but does
> > exist on Electricmail (ie accounts for everyone
> > outside of Vancouver). I expect it's going to say
> > account doesn't exist/invalid user.  What's the
> > best way to get around this. Do I need to setup
> > some kind of custom mail routing in exchange?
> The easy way to do this is to use contacts. The right way to do it is a
> lot

How does that work exactly since the accounts are in the same address space
on both the internal exchange server AND electricmail's hosting.  So eg. on
the exchange server we have a mailbox enabled account hsibble@xxxxxxxxxx, the
toronto office has a user billg@xxxxxxxxxx which is also hosted on
Electricmail.  If someone in the Vancouver office sends an email to
billg@xxxxxxxxxx, they get a DSN saying the user doesn't exist. I don't quite
understand how I use a contact to tell exchange that an email address in the
same dns domain is handled elsewhere.  Can you explain further?  I understand
how to use contacts for addresses outside the same dns domain and already use
them extensively with the blackberry users.

> more complicated. Search for the KB on "Sharing SMTP Address Spaces" at
> support.microsoft.com.
> That document will answer all your other questions from below, too.

That's a great article, It'll help greatly in the planning moving forward.
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
help@xxxxxxxxx (use pgp keyid 0x3AD5C11D) http://www.pdscc.com

MSExchange Articles and Tutorials: