[ExchangeList] Re: exchange 200 2003

  • From: "Greg Mulholland" <gmulholland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:37:08 +1100

quote:  I would like a server out there to be able to queue the mail

now you want control the servers "out there"?

generally most servers will requeue the mail for anywhere from 6 hours-2 days
(its up to the other mail admin) If your server doesn't come online before
then, generally the user will get a bounce message saying the mail could not be
delivered.

I am assuming you have either only got one server or both are in a the same
site. Chances of both servers going down in your site at once are small, if you
have planned right, redundant power supply's, backup internet connection, more
than one 5 port switch..

The best way to do it is contact your ISP (or a mail hosting company) and see
if they can setup to catch your mail if your server goes down. Then create a
second or third mx record to point to them. if one or both of your servers are
down mail will be delivered to them then you can configure your server to
collect the mail when you are back up.

Greg