[ExchangeList] Re: crashing exchange 2003 server - help

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:32:29 -0400

If you are truly cloning the box, and simply swapping them out to do so, you should be fine.

One question though: when you take a snapshot with Acronis of the old box, I would think you would be well served to have the Exchange services stopped, to ensure you aren't cloning a transactional database on the fly.  Does Acronis mention Exchange cloning specifically?

So long as the old box is offline and there is absolutely no way for both servers to be on the net at the same time, talking to a DC, I would think you'd be fine.  Having said that, I would certainly prefer to test that process before I did it to a production system.

The move mailbox approach we know will work.  I think the Acronis clone approach will work, so long as you have the database shut down when you take the backup.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Harondel J. Sibble <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------My intent is to clone the crashy box to the new unused server using Acronis
(offline bootcd) which we already use for backup, that should be the fastest
way.

Anything I should be aware of that point. I'll disconnect the old box and
hookup the new box which will have all the same stuff as the old one. Will
that cause any problems with AD?

On 16 Sep 2009 at 14:35, Rob Sharp wrote:

> http://www.msexchange.org
> -------------------------------------------------------Just out of
> curiosity, what would happen if the server were to keel over
> partway through transferring a mailbox across to the replacement?
>
> Rob
>
> Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> > http://www.msexchange.org
> > -------------------------------------------------------The spare server I
> have is identical to the problematic one so no issue
> > there.

> > On 16 Sep 2009 at 9:18, Rick Boza wrote:
> >
> > You've got a standby piece of hardware that I would stand up as a second
> XCHG
> > server and move the mailboxes before I did anything else.
> >
> > I'm going to guess you have a bad raid controller or moboard at this
> point.
> > I'd probably look at replacing one or both of those while hosting the mail
> on
> > the temporary server.Performance may degrade a bit depending on how
> > underspecced it is, but much less so than the server dropping dead on a
> > regular basis.

> MSExchange Articles and Tutorials:
> http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/
> MSExchange Blogs: http://blogs.msexchange.org/

Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
Creating Solutions for the small and medium business computer user.
help@xxxxxxxxx (use pgp keyid 0x3AD5C11D) http://www.pdscc.com
(604) 739-3709 (voice)