[ExchangeList] Re: crashing exchange 2003 server - help

  • From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:13:43 -0700

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------Yes that's correct, the
Exchange/DC multirole setup is not the issue here,
however I am aware of the issues involved with that sort of deployment, given
other issues like budget, space, heat management and such, we decided to go
ahead with this configuration anyways.  I did read the Petrie article before
hand along with many others on the issues involved in cohosting AD and
Exchange on the same box.

At this point I am about 90% certain the nic driver upgrade will fix the
crashing problem.

Until I can replace the windows 2000 DC, that's not going to change, the
spare machine was earmarked for a database project but with the market
problems last year, funding dried up for that.

Plus there is some talk of merging the Toronto and Vancouver offices onto
shared AD, storage, remote access etc, but given Toronto has their own
Exchange server and AD also, that's a bit of a longer term project.

On 16 Sep 2009 at 11:09, Rick Boza wrote:

While it's not a best practice, he's trying to get through a recovery at the
moment, not an architectural discussion. For the moment, getting the system
stabilized is probably more important.

The fact that it's a DC is almost definitely not the cause of the problems he
is firefighting.

(see Dan Petri's fine article on this when the crisis is passed - not
recommended, but can be done -
http://www.petri.co.il/problems_with_exchange_2003_installed_on_domain_control
lers.htm)

--