[ExchangeList] Re: convert from pop3 to exchange

  • From: <ChongJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:03:59 -0500

Here you go Mark. I've actually seen this with serveral users who were somewhat
over 1gb. But again it could be a combination of factors with large ost files
being one of them.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011402591033.aspx

Managing performance issues

Many factors influence a user's perception of Cached Exchange Mode performance,
including how much hard disk space and how fast a CPU the user has on his
computer, and what level of performance the user is accustomed to when using
Outlook. For example, offline users might experience Cached Exchange Mode as
providing a better user experience, while users who formerly accessed Exchange
in online mode might perceive Outlook performance as having decreased
(depending on other factors as well).

One factor that can contribute to reduced performance is a large OST file. If
the user's OST file grows too large (for example, larger than 1 GB), Outlook
with Cached Exchange Mode performance degrades. To improve response time in
Outlook, users should either reduce the size of their mailbox (for example, by
archiving older files) or turn off Cached Exchange Mode. To help prevent the
problem of overly large OST files, you can set a limit on the mailbox size in
Exchange Server. You might also choose to turn off synchronizing users' Public
Folder Favorites if you previously enabled the option in your deployment of
Cached Exchange Mode.