RE: clients unable to access E2K after GC unavailable.

  • From: "Shevill, Mark M SITI-ITDCE22" <Mark.Shevill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 07:34:04 +0100

When you remove the GC from the network the usual issue is that one of
them will be the Config DC. Undoubtably it's the one you remove.

After removing the GC you can run DCSFlush which will force Exchange to
go and find a new Config DC. DSADiag 2 from the command prompt should go
and find a list of the GC's and DC's available and set one of them as
the Config DC.

Alternatively the Config DC and the list of GC's and DC's can be
hardcoded via the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\MSExchangeDSAccess
\Instance0] "ConfigDCHostName" = "configdc.microsoft.com"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\MSExchangeDSAccess
\Profiles\Default\UserDC1] "IsGC" = dword:00 "HostName" =
"firstDC.microsoft.com"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\MSExchangeDSAccess
\Profiles\Default\UserDC2] "IsGC" = dword:00 "HostName" =
"secondDC.microsoft.com"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\MSExchangeDSAccess
\Profiles\Default\UserDC3] "IsGC" = dword:00 "HostName" =
"thirdDC.microsoft.com"

Normally the process of rediscovering a Config DC is done automatically
under E2K. This should be done within 20 minutes, but if the users are
using MAPI clients they will need to relogin. OWA users should get
functionality back to their mailbox dynamically.

Hope this helps.

Mark Shevill
IMG Messaging Technical Lead

Tel: +44 161 435 8709 Fax: +44 161 933 3502 Other Tel: +44 7932 625510
Email: Mark.Shevill@xxxxxxxxx