Re: can't receive mail (internal & external)

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:39:20 -0500

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:24:04 +0200, Obakeng Seleke
<obakeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently having a problem in my company where all
> users are able to send e-mails to external domains but
> cannot receive any, i've checked my services and all have
> started (SMTP). Our internet line is a 512k leased line and
> we use SMTP to transport and retrieve mail from our ISP.

You retrieve email from your ISP with SMTP?  Is this a new
experimental version of the SMTP protocol?  The SMTP I know (see:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc821.html)  is for moving email between
servers--both sending and receiving. POP3 and IMAP are for managing
received messages and downloading messages from a server to a client.

Anyway, first things first, can you telnet to your ISP's SMTP server on port 25?

Have you checked your DNS resolution?  What does your ISP say?

...D