RE: cannot connect outlook to exchange 2003?

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:27:47 -0400

Sounds like things weren't removed properly or something got munged.  What
process did you use to remove the server?

It might be beneficial to remove Exchange and the server OS completely,
remove it from Active Directory as well and start fresh.

Just a thought. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Stangenberger [mailto:marcel.stangenberger@xxxxxx] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 11:18 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: cannot connect outlook to exchange 2003?

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Ok here we go :-)

I installed exchange 2003 on the server last week, connecting with outlook
was possible but offline adressbook usage was not. I discussed this with the
microsoft support center and they told me i made an error with the
installation and suggested that i removed the current installation and then
installed exchange again. I did this as suggested but now the new problem
started. Another problem that i just found is that SP1 could not be
installed because, the error message on this is 

[08/11/04,16:54:10] Dependency Manager: [2]
CDependencyManager::ValidateDependencyStates() : The dependency of Microsoft
Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services on Microsoft Search is not
satisfied.
[08/11/04,16:54:10] Dependency Manager: [2] Component default action
settings do not satisfy dependencies. Components are being set to
IR_NOTHING.
[08/11/04,16:54:10] setup.exe: [2] Run() : RunLoadSetup(), an exception has
occured.

I can use outlook for imap & pop3 connections so my guess is that this is a
communications problem between exchange and outlook.

when i try to connect outlook to the exchange server i don't see the desktop
system in the netstat output, which is kinda strange cause it should have a
few connections to the server.

Marcel

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 10:28:41AM -0400, Lara, Greg wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
> 
> Marcel, I suspect that there are elements to your installation (either 
> Exchange or Office/Outlook) that you haven't told us about that could 
> be a factor here. Is this a fresh Exchange install, or an upgrade, or
migration?
> Did your Outlook clients ever connect successfully to any mail server 
> (Exchange, POP3, IMAP)?
> 
> You could try starting Outlook with some command line switches to see 
> if they help. Try:
> 
> Outlook.exe /cleanprofile (removes invalid profile keys and recreates 
> default registry keys) Outlook.exe /nopollmail (will start Outlook 
> without checking for mail on
> startup)
> Outlook.exe /safe (starts Outlook without extensions, reading pane or 
> toolbar customizations)
> 
> There are a bunch more, but start with those and see if there's any
effect.
> 
> Greg Lara
> IT Department
> Anti-Defamation League
> 823 UN Plaza
> New York, NY 10017
> (212) 885-7764 (voice) (212) 885-5807 (fax) glara@xxxxxxx Use the ADL 
> Helpdesks:
> IT:
> http://www.webhelpdesk.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/HostedHelpdesk.woa/wa?id
> =25
> Development:
> http://www.webhelpdesk.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/HostedHelpdesk.woa/wa?id
> =49
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------
> ---------------------------
> This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential and/or 
> proprietary information intended only for the person(s) named. If you 
> are not the intended recipient, please destroy this message, and any 
> attachments, and notify the sender by return e-mail. If you are not 
> the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for 
> delivering the message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby 
> notified that any dissemination, disclosure or copying of this 
> communication is strictly prohibited.
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------
> ---------------------------
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marcel Stangenberger [mailto:marcel.stangenberger@xxxxxx]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 6:54 AM
> To: [ExchangeList]
> Subject: [exchangelist] cannot connect outlook to exchange 2003?
> 
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
> 
> Hi everybody,
> 
> i have a windows 2003 server here running Exchange 2003 enterprise. 
> Everything seems in order on the server level, but whenever i try to 
> connect an outlook 2003 or outlook 2000 client to the server the 
> client crashes. The OWA is working and i can log in that way. The 
> event viewer on the workstation reports nothing wrong. The event 
> viewer on the server reports that i need to optimize the exchange memory.
But nothing else.
> 
> now i have checked multiple things. The information store is running 
> and the stores are mounted and there is no smarthost filled in on the 
> SMTP connector (i found that that could cause this error (entry in
google).
> 
> the other odd thing is that when i open the "post" icon in the control 
> panel, fill in the proper exchange server and username for the 
> exchange profile and then click on "check name" the program also crashes.
> 
> Does anyone know what is going on and how i can resolve this?
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> 
> Marcel
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com Leading 
> Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows 
> Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network 
> Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax 
> Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as:
> glara@xxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe visit
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------
> List Archives: 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
> Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
> World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com Leading 
> Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
> No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows 
> Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network 
> Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax 
> Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
> ------------------------------------------------------
> You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List 
> as: marcel.stangenberger@xxxxxx To unsubscribe visit 
> http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
> Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------------------------------
List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
------------------------------------------------------
Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com Leading
Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows Security
Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security Library:
http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions:
http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
------------------------------------------------------
You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as:
al.mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe visit
http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Other related posts: