cannot connect Outlook 2002 to Exch 5.5

  • From: chris_fricke@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:26:49 -0600

I have a XP Pro pc (brandnew gateway) running Outlook 2002, i have
joined my NT 4.0 Domain and can browse network.  The DC is also running
Exchange 5.5.  I cannot add the Exchange Server account to my outlook
profile, it appears that it cannot find the server.  But I can browse the
Exchange servers shares.  I am not running WINS or DNS on the network, I
just enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP so I can login and browse the network.
When I try to add the Exchange server account to Outlook I just get a box
saying "Requesting Data from Exchange" and it sits there until I hit
cancel.  I've let it sit there for up to 20 minutes.  I've tried
adding the Exchange Account using the IP address of the server, but same
problem.  Does anyone know for sure if I need WINS running on the server,
or DNS?
Thanks