RE: blocking emails with attachments by extens ion

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:26:25 -0500

Any product that uses VSAPI 2.5 should be fine so long as you're happy with
the vendor and the engine they use.  The damage that used to result was due
to poorly configured applications.  All the major AV vendors now publish
how-to guides to deploying on Exchange 2003.

There are many versions of virus scanners, but unless the product specifies
VSAPI/AVAPI then it's not what you want.  You'll need to read the product
manuals to understand what they're selling you.  Don't confuse Exchange AV
scanners with file-based scanners as they won't do what you want.  They
usually compliment each other when used on the same machine, but they don't
do the same things.