blank messages in Outlook

  • From: "Keith Ullman" <kulkan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:57:21 -0700

Hi all.

I hope someone knows something about this.

I've got a client with SBS 2003 (not SP-1 yet), Exchange 2003, Outlook 2003.
Outlook is up to date on patches.

What is happening to a couple of users is that they are getting a bunch of
totally blank messages in their inboxes.  Like 180 in a few hours.
These have no sender, recipient, subject or body, except they are HTML
formatted and there is some code here although it doesn't mean much to me.
Right now I'm trapping them with a High setting on the Junk email filter.

I am using Trend officescan on the clients and on the server, but the
server's client does NOT scan the exchange folders.  The Trend clients are
using the pop mail scanner.

All of the clients get their mail from an external ISP with POP3, but store
it in the exchange server.  All mail is sent with the POP3 clients through
the ISP.  The Ex server does NOT use the POP3 retrieval tool and is not used
to receive mail directly from the Internet.

I'm not using the Trend Officescan version with the Exchange scanning piece
for the server.   I've even disabled the client piece on the server.

All of the clients use Cached mode so they have .ost files, but they are
connected most of the time.  The user with the most problem is also
connected from home via VPN much of the time.  He has the Trend client
running there as well.

I've run scanost.exe on the user's .ost who has the most trouble but it
didn't make any difference.

I'm wondering if these are coming from some corruption in the store that is
being re-synced somehow and puked into the inboxes.

Has anyone seen anything like this.