Re: badmail

  • From: "Brian Parker" <bparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:54:59 -0000

Hi Kerry

Same here - once a day, no problems thus far (touching nearest piece of
oak !) 


Regards

Brian Parker
Senior Computing Officer



-----Original Message-----
From: Kenny Mann [mailto:Kennymann@xxxxxxxxxxx] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 2:45 PM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] Re: badmail

http://www.MSExchange.org/

"This can be caused because you simply do not bother to regularly clean
out the badmail dir and it has now filled up, or because there is
someone or some process sending out masses of bad emails."

Which begs the question, how frequently should one clean out the badmail
directory? I'm sure this question is very subjective.
I run a script to clean my once a day, as I've never needed to use it...

Kenny

-----Original Message-----
From: A. M. Salim [mailto:msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 8:36 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] Re: badmail


http://www.MSExchange.org/

Hi,

> Yesterday I posted badmail, queue and pickup directories are full to 
> busting of files and I am assuming it is due to the sdbot virus, can 
> this be confirmed and also that the only way to " empty " these 
> directories is to take the server off the internet until clear then 
> delete the virus, there is no other reason for these folders being 
> full is there ?????

There are many many reasons for those dirs filling up, not just the
sdbot virus.

The queue dir will fill up if someone or some process is trying to send
out masses of emails, either zillions of small emails or a lot of huge
emails.

The badmail dir will fill up when the recipient email address is bad and
you have zillions of such messages.  This can be caused because you
simply do not bother to regularly clean out the badmail dir and it has
now filled up, or because there is someone or some process sending out
masses of bad emails.

While all signs appear pointing to your current virus infection, I would
hesitate to say that it is the only reason.

I am curious:  you say that your server has been infected by a virus and
yet you seem reluctant to re-install the system and appear to be looking
for a way to get the system clean again without re-installing.

If you want to be rid of the virus, you have to figure out what practice
caused the server to be infected.  A server should not get infected just
because virus-laden emails are being transmitted through it.  Someone
had to sit there and click on the virus message and open and execute the
file, or download something bad from the Internet.  Is someone using
your server as if it is their personal workstation, and has installed
Outlook on it and is reading their email, downloading this and that,
etc.?  It may be worth looking into these things so it does not happen
again.

best regards
Mike


------------------------------------------------------
List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
------------------------------------------------------
Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com Leading
Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com No.1 ISA Server
Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org Windows Security Resource Site:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/ Network Security Library:
http://www.secinf.net/ Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions:
http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
------------------------------------------------------
You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as:
kennymann@xxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe visit
http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------------------------------
List Archives: http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Exchange Newsletters: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp
Exchange FAQ: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/larticle.asp?type=FAQ
------------------------------------------------------
Other Internet Software Marketing Sites:
World of Windows Networking: http://www.windowsnetworking.com
Leading Network Software Directory: http://www.serverfiles.com
No.1 ISA Server Resource Site: http://www.isaserver.org
Windows Security Resource Site: http://www.windowsecurity.com/
Network Security Library: http://www.secinf.net/
Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions: http://www.ntfaxfaq.com
------------------------------------------------------
You are currently subscribed to this MSEXchange.org Discussion List as:
bparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe visit
http://www.webelists.com/cgi/lyris.pl?enter=exchangelist
Report abuse to listadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Other related posts: