audit deleted public folders

  • From: Tom Kern <tpkern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangemail <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:06:52 -0500

 I'm running exchange 2k post sp3 rollup.
I have "Directory Access" auditing enabled on the domain controllers ou.

This morning someone deleted a mail enabled public folder and the only event
i get is this-

Event Type: Success Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Directory Service Access
Event ID: 565
Date:  1/26/2006
Time:  8:08:10 AM
Computer: OPNYC10
Object Open:
  Object Server: DS
  Object Type: publicFolder
  Object Name: %{ececd715-14da-44bb-919b-0bf8ac8d07ca}
  New Handle ID: 0
  Operation ID: {0,2476766380}
  Process ID: 304
  Primary User Name: OPNYC10$
  Primary Domain: OPANDCO
  Primary Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)
  Client User Name: EXNYC03$
  Client Domain: OPANDCO
  Client Logon ID: (0x0,0x93421897)
  Accesses  DELETE

  Privileges  -

OPNYC10 is the dc the delete took place on and EXNYC03 is the exchange
server hosting this folder.

However by reading the event, it looks like the Exchange server deleted the

I know thats not right.

Is it that someone deleted the mapi folder through Outlook and then Exchange
cleaned up the folder object from AD?

If so, how can I audit the mapi public folder deletions?

Thanks a lot