RE: adprep /forestprep

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:58:36 -0400

Adprep/ forestprp and adprep /domainprep is for upgrading Windows 2000
DC to Windows 20003 DC. You have to do this before you can add the first
2003 DC to an existing 2000 forest/domain.
Setup /domainprep and setup /forestprep are for upgrading/installing
Exchange. They are two different things. If you plan to implement
Exchaneg 2003 in and existing Windows 2000 domain, which not many people
do, you don't have to do a adprep, but you must do a setup /forestprep
and setup /domainprep. Both adprep and setup do schema extensions, for
Windows OS and Exchange application respectively. When you run a SP, if
there are new schema attributes added, you will see the forestprep and
domainprep run. Important thing to remember, if you run setup
/forestprep and /domianprep in an existing Exchange 2000 organization,
you will end up with mangled attributes for certain schema attribs.
There is a document which tells you how to rename those attributes
before you run the setup /forestprep /domainprep.
If you don't run setup /forestprep and setup /domainprep there is no way
in earth toy can add an Exchange server to your AD domain. Like Mike
said, if you forget, it runs in the background. Its mandatory, not
optional.

Raj Periyasamy
Systems Administrator
MCSE(Messaging), CCNA