Re: X.400 question

  • From: "A. Michael Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:13:47 -0500 (EST)

Paul,

> I don't know what version of Exchange you are running? Every user needs an
> X400 address even in Exchange 2003. I was told this directly by PSS. So much
> for being pure SMTP? What you don't need is the X400 connector if you are
> running Exchange 5.5, which if memory serves is an installed component by
> default in 5.5.

Thanks for your response.  I am running Ex2k3.  Here is why I am asking
the question.  Apologies for the long email.

Up until a couple of days ago, when I added a user, they would get a X.400
address assigned to them by default and I never had to mess with it and
never even noticed it.

Now, when I add a new user in "Active Directory and Computers", their
"E-mail address" tab is completely empty and there is no default address
of any kind (strange!).  I am able to add SMTP addresses no problem, but
the system won't let me add X.400 addresses.  When I attempt to add a
X.400 address identical in format to any of the existing X.400 addresses,
Exchange complains that the "ADMD is required".  But the ADMD is null or
blank for all my existing users.  The E-mail addresses are blank even when
I try to create a new user by making a copy from an existing user.

This leads to 3 questions:

a) How come the ADMD is blank and is acceptable for existing users and
not acceptable for new users?  According to the "Help", a recipient
address does not need an DDMD, but how do I distinguish a "recipient
address" from anything else?

b) What should the ADMD field be, or all the other fields be, so I can add
X.400 addresses as a recipient address just like all my other addresses?
I have the following fields specified and all the others are blank:

p=xyzmail  (Q: what exactly does this correspond to, or is it arbitrary?)
a=
c=US
g="first name" (without the double quotes of course)
s="surname" (without the double quotes)
i="initials" (without the double quotes"
o=Exchange

c) What might have changed such that previously, users were getting a
default SMTP and X.400 address and now they are not?  What should I check?
Obviously something has changed.

TIA!
Mike Salim