Wierd Exchange problem with Global Catalog servers

  • From: "Booker Washington" <chipw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:59:55 -0500

First, I hate to spam the list before I ask my Exchange question, but does
anyone know of a good list like this for SMS 2003 questions:

While you chew on that, here is the Exchange question

I have a forest empty root(test.com) and I am a child domain of that
root(mgt.test.com).  My domain connects to the Exchange server in a
different domain via rpc over http.  The exchange server is called
mymail.test.com

When I try to allow other users to manage the membership of distribution
groups, they get a permission error.  I have found out that it is because
the clients in my domain are using the Global Catalog of the Exchange
server.  If I make a registry change to force a client to choose the Closest
GC, then that user is able to make the changes.

My question is why would my clients in my domain, NOT choose my DC's as the
closest GC by default instead of looking at the Exchange Server in a
different domain  (is it because of the exchange over https connection)

And if so, by making that registry change, will this affect their ability to
manage groups if they go off site?

Thanks