Why 4 Procs

  • From: C Drawers <cdrawers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ExchangeList\]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:45:45 -0800 (PST)

4 Processor servers seem to always been chosen for mailbox servers.  Since a
comparable equipped 2 processor server is often 1/4 the cost and it seems the
latest 2 proc box has equivilant ghz power as a 4 proc box, it sure seems like
2 proc boxes are the way to go.

Can someone help me with this?  I'm wondering if there is something magic about
4 proc.  I've seen in the Exch2k3 performance white paper something to the
affect of "Exchange scales well to 4 procs", but I don't see anything
definitive or at least something worth buying a 25k (4 proc) server as opposed
to a 6k (2 proc) server.

Any crazy theories or even better... concrete theories with data to suppor the
theory?

Thanks,