Where to save e-mails: Public Folders or Network Shares ???

  • From: "Alfonso Lopez de Ayala" <alopezdeayala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:13:56 -0800

In your opinion... what's best when users have to save e-mails:
 - put them in Exchange PUBLIC FOLDERS
 - save them on a SHARED NETWORK FOLDER (as an .msg file) ?

My first inclination is to direct everybody to use Public Folders (feels
like it's the "native" location & platform for e-mails)...

...but there's the following dilemma:
   - e-mails have files attached often, and I tell my users to save
these to a network share and NOT keep them attached inside the e-mail (2
reasons: to minimize Exchange database size, and so that they can be
indexed for searches, etc)...
   - but then they want to keep the e-mail too, and hate having two
locations (Public Folders AND Network Share) to go to for info relating
to the same project...

Is there anything wrong with saving e-mails to disk as a file?
What's the "best practice"?

Thanks for your wisdom on this subject...