RE: What the heck? Telnet to SMTP...

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:24:52 -0700

And everyone thinks PIX are so great.

John T

eServices For You

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Wall [mailto:Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:59 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Cc: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] What the heck? Telnet to SMTP...

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Hello all,

I have a weird one here.  I have two SMTP Gateway boxes for our
organization.  One is Win 2003 Server with IIS and the other is Win 2000
Server with IIS.  Neither of these servers have Exchange installed, but they
do act as Smart Hosts for our Exchange 2003 environment.

I have just found out that when someone (externally) attempts to telnet to
our SMTP hosts (206.195.131.20 and 206.195.131.69) the following appears:

220
*******************************************************************0****0*2*
*****************2******200********0***0*00

If I attempt to type 'EHLO' or 'HELO' I receive the following:

500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command

If I attempt to telnet to these servers from an internal PC, using the
internal IP address, I get the standard:

220 mail1.globalknowledge.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version:
6.0.3790.21

1 ready at  Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:53:55 -0400

When typing 'HELO' or 'EHLO' I get the normal reply:

helo

250 mail1.globalknowledge.com Hello [172.16.5.181]

Mail is flowing as it should into our organization, but I am unable to
successfully force a Telnet Session to our servers from an external
computer.  In the past, our servers have responded to telnet requests as if
internal, but now they respond with '220 *************' etc.

What could be causing this since I have not made any changes to the IIS SMTP
config?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris