RE: WIndows 2003 SMTP

  • From: "Deb" <deb.l.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:37:25 -0700

Thanks for the reply. Here's my situation.  We have an smtp mail gateway
on a node in our network (non-windows node).  We have several
nodes/servers that send and receive mail - not just Exchange.  We
currently route all outgoing/incoming mail through the smtp mail gateway.
So the gateway works with our internal DNS to route mail to specified
nodes.  Bottom line, we don't exclusively use Exchange for mail.

What we don't want to do is send all mail through the Exchange server and
use the connectors in Exchange to route mail.  We want mail to come in/out
of one node/server and have that server route to the node/server.  This
node/server will be either AIX or Windows node/server.  The current node
is a Compaq/HP node and will be retiring soon.

I was going the direction of using Windows 2003 SMTP services, but I keep
hearing Windows is not robust or secure enough to be the SMTP mail
gateway/router.  Comments?

Deb