RE: Virtual memory Fragmented on Exchange 2000

  • From: "A. Michael Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:20:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mark,

> There errors you are seeing have nothing to do with disk fragmentation,
> and I would advise against defragging the drive that holds your EDB's
> and LOGS, run EXBPA on the server and see what it suggests, if you have
> the Enterprise version of Windows you can edit the BOOT.INI file to
> include the /3Gb switch, do not apply this switch if you have the
> Standard version of Windows 2000
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328882

Regarding the use of the /3GB switch, the above article says:

"Caution We support the use of the /3GB switch in Microsoft Windows Server
2003 Standard Edition in a production environment for use by Active
Directory. Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 is supported in a production
environment when you use this functionality...".

Does this not mean that you CAN use the /3GB on a Windows 2003 Standard
server provided you are running Active Directory and Exchnage 2003?  It is
not clear from the article whether AD and Exchange need to be running on
the same server on which /3GB is enabled, but I would expct in general
that this would apply to a Windows 2003 Standard server running Exchange
2003, since you have to have AD running for this (whether on the same
server or on a seperate ADC).

best regards
Mike Salim