[ExchangeList] Various Exchange services won't start automatically

  • From: "David Stevens" <david@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:48:42 +0100

Dear all,

I've a small domain with 2 Windows 2003 servers. MS Exchange runs on Server
1 - 64 bit OS. Forefront is enabled to scan incoming e-mail.

I have 2 problems:

1.       Many of the exchange server services and the Forefront services
won't start automatically and I have to start them manually when I re-boot
the server. The symptoms are described very closely in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951402 but the cause can't be the same as
this is a clean installation of Exchange Server 2007 on a 2003 server.

Perhaps the key is that I can't start the FSEIMC service on which other
Exchange services depend. However, my exchange e-mail works well internally
and externally, in and out, once I have started all the services I can!

2.       The memory usage is usually about 4GB (I only have 2GB RAM
installed) and a big part of this is due to the 4 instances of
FSCRealTimeScanner.exe and the 4 instances of FSCTransportScanner.exe that
constantly run - each takes about 140MB.

I rely on consultants to build and configure my servers and the question is
do I need to call them in to fix these issues or am I overlooking something
more obvious? All help and guidance gratefully received!

Yours sincerely

David Stevens