RE: Using TLS to Secure Email

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:55:59 -0500

I think you should poll your customers and see what they're willing to do
and not willing to do based on the facts.  If they decide that you should
use TLS (or IPSec vpn or policy based encryption etc) then you should pursue
that route.  I don't think that TLS is ahead of it's time, I think it's a
limited solution for specific situations.  Typically, I would prefer to
deploy between single-entity managed MTA's vs. with external companies per
se.  In my opinion, the overhead may just justify the expense of a
commercial policy-based encryption MTA vs. TLS.

You won't know until you ask them though and until you call the companies
for a specific quote vs. what's on the web.  They may be able to work with
your specific situation depending on the needs. It is a business in the end
:)

Al