Using TLS to Secure Email

  • From: Kevin Bachelder <kbachelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:30:27 -0500

Hi all,

I am the IT manager for a small company and a handful of our clients are medical offices. I have been looking into server-based solutions to secure our email communications in light of the upcoming HIPAA security deadline. Unfortunately, many of the good products (i.e. easy to use) cost several thousand dollars. I have done some research and it looks like using TLS (Transport Layer Security) between our email server and our recipients' server would do the trick and would not be that expensive to implement.

Has anyone else used this approach or care to comment on this idea?

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback,

Kevin Bachelder