Using Multiple Exchange GAL's or Address Lists

  • From: "Sean McGilloway" <Kashi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:44:49 -0800

Hello!

Does anyone have some Exchange address book knowledge? I have a few
thousand addresses I'm inputting into Exchange/AD and I don't want them
to appear in the GAL, but I do want Outlook clients to qualify the
address when someone types a name into the TO field. When I say
"qualify", I mean validate the address against the address lists, for
example, with the Check Names function.

Our firm is running Exchange 2000 with Outlook 2002 clients. Exchange
has the default global address list, but it also has the ability to
create custom address books (in the Exchange system manager). So I
changed the query used by the default Exchange GAL so that it only lists
regular, internal users (about 25 or so plus some various groups). Then
I tried two things: first creating a *NEW* global address list that
listed the other thousand contacts, and then created a *NEW* regular
address list that also listed the other thousand contacts. I did both in
the Exchange system manager.

The *results*>>>
Good news: our default GAL is much more concise.
Bad news: if I address an email to one of these other contacts by typing
in part of their name, Outlook can't "Check Names". It appears that the
*only* address book that Outlook will Check Names against is the default
GAL (and your personal contacts folder, but I'm trying to avoid using
that). Can I alter this? Can I force Outlook or Exchange to reference
these other address books I've created in the ESM when performing a
"name check"?

Let me know if you need more info about what I'm doing...

Thanks! -k

Sean (Kashi) McGilloway
Marten Law Group PLLC
1191 Second Avenue, Suite 2200