RE: Using Exchange server as Domain Controller

  • From: "Rosser, Richard (Exchange)" <richard.rosser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:44:10 -0400

Mark,

I have just gone through the exact items you have mentioned below.

First, I personally would never, ever put Exchange on a Domain Controller.
These are two different/separate functions and if one goes down, you could
take everything else down with it.

Our AD DC's authenticate, run DHCP an DNS and perform the AD/Global Catalog
functions.

Our Exchange Server is actually the big power-horse running and moving email
constantly all day. I never wanted to integrate or mix the two.

We are backing up Exchange with an actual tape drive built into the Exchange
Server hardware. These mailboxes are critical, so I want a local tape drive for
backup.

Now, before I have backed up across the wire with no issues, so the call is
yours.
We have tape backups for the other servers and the one attached to the Exchange
Server is ONLY for Exchange backups.

We, also configure a 'mirror' for the operating system with 2 large drives and
the
'data' drive is Raid 5. Good planning on your end.

Let me know if this helped at all.

Richard