Using Exchange server as Domain Controller

  • From: "Mark Budman" <mbudman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:25:31 -0400

Hello,

   I am currently building and Exchange 2000 server and Windows 2000 Active
Directory network.  We have on site an external consultant, and his
recommendations are that we make our Exchange server box as a Domain
Controller. His reasoning for this is that the Microsoft connector to Active
directory is not good, and with the power of computers in today's world, the
additional load should not be a problem.

   In addition, he recommends Disk mirroring for the system partition (drive
"C"), and RAID 5 for the data (Drive "D"). I was under the impression that this
would be a good idea if you have two controller cards, unnecessary with one
controller.

   Our server specs are as follows:

Dell PowerEdge 2500 933 with 1 Gig RAM
6 x 18 gig hot swappable removable hard drives
2 drives for mirroring
4 for data RAID 5

   Our consultant also recommends placing the backup on a separate machine (not
the exchange server) and backing up the store through the wire. Our information
store is currently 15 gigabytes. I think it would be better to have the backup
on the Exchange server.

Anyone have any comments or thoughts on the above three items?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Budman