[ExchangeList] Re: Upgrading to exchange 2003 by doing a clean install

  • From: "Simon Butler" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:22:28 +0100

Swing it is the best way to do such a migration.
Any reason that you want to keep the same name? If it is to avoid having
to visit every machine to change Outlook then that isn't a concern as
Outlook will redirect to the new server automatically. You just have to
make sure that both servers are alive the first time that the clients
connect.
By doing a swing migration you can also do the bulk of the work during
production hours, which means no late nights for you.

The only other thing I will say is that you will need to allow plenty of
time for the public and system folders to replicate. PF replication off
an Exchange 2000 server is notoriously slow.

You will need this article at some point, it explains how to remove the
original Exchange server and makes a good base for the migration.

Otherwise build the new machine, put in the Exchange 2003 CD and let it
auto play. Follow the checklist to carry out all the steps. Once
installed, install the latest Service Pack for Exchange 2003. Then you
can configure public and system folder replication. Once replication is
working properly you can start to think about moving the mailboxes -
starting with your own of course.
Then follow the article above to move everything else across.

Simon.

--
Simon Butler
MCP, MCSA, MVP:Exchange