Upgrading to Enterprise tip

  • From: "Brandon F. Lockhart" <blockhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:20:17 -0400

All,
        Recently I e-mailed the list requesting pseudo-instructions on a
sucessful Standard ==> Enterprise upgrade.  The response I received was rather
dismal.  I have now sucessfully completed this upgrade, and have a set of
instructions I have pieced together.  Please keep in mind this set of
instructions is not complete by far, but a great start.

Old Setup:
==========
Windows 2000 Server, Service Pack 2
Norton AntiVirus (2.5)
Exchange 2000 Standard (installed from BackOffice 2000 suite), Service Pack 2

-----------------

If you installed Standard from the BackOffice 2000 CD, and wish to now upgrade
to Enterprise, please read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q312426.  There
is a version problem that you must edit certain aspects of the registry to fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q312426

----------------

Complete system backup.

Verify system backup.

Run the Exchange 2000 Setup.  Select "ReInstall" for the options you wish to
upgrade (usually all of the options).  After the installation process is
complete (you may receive errors, if you do, make sure you either "keep the
older file", or "cancel".  You may receive active directory error messages
(cannot create object, and other similar messages), this is what you press
cancel on.  The keep the older file messages are because of the service pack.
You will need to reboot afterwards.

Upon rebooting, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN OUTLOOK, OR ANY OTHER MAIL CLIENT, you
will only scare yourself.  When the machine comes back up, install Service Pack
2.  Reboot.  If the stores do not come up mounted, mount the stores.  Done.

If you do not install SP2, you will receive mounting errors which will make you
want to run away and hide from your boss.