Upgrading an Exchange 2000 Cluster to Exchange 2003

  • From: "William Holmes" <wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:15:31 -0500

Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading an Exchange 2000 cluster to Exchange 2003. I
have a couple of questions/ideas.

Is it possible to evict one of my cluster nodes and then do a clean install
of Windows 2003 and then re-add the new Windows 2003 node back to the
cluster, and at that point install and configure Exchange 2003 to on the new
node and then proceed with a rolling upgrade of the Exchange Virtual servers
by moving them to this new node.

I realize I could simply upgrade to Exchange 2003 with out the eviction and
re-install of Windows 2003 but I would prefer a clean OS install rather than
an upgrade after the Exchange 2003 upgrade.

I ask because during the upgrade of my Front-End servers I ran into some
problems which ultimately required a full re-install.

As a rule a prefer clean installs to upgrades except when absolutely
necessary.

The other option I am considering is moving all of my user mailboxes to
another server re-building the cluster from scratch and then moving the
mailboxes back. This also has advantages.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Bill