RE: Upgrading Exch 5.5/Win2K Srv to 2003 versions

  • From: "Jamie A. Byrnes" <jabyrnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:45:03 +0930

Hi Gene,

(no pun intended, you probably get that alot...)

During my admin career (15+ years) I have never had a Capital
Expenditure Request knocked back, big or small, for one simple reason.
The trick is that you're dealing with beancounters and you have to talk
MONEY!

So make points about how money will be saved over the medium to long
term (put pay-back period next to each point) with things such as
improved workflow, decreased downtime, possibility of major downtime
after support finishes, etc. Use a few (not lots) of the current
favourite acronyms like ROI, B2B even though you probably will never use
exchange for such things. And lastly add the non-substantive points
about things such as stability, extra functionality, etc. Maybe even
push the point about the possibility of the company being liable if they
lose exchange data. Try to get dept managers on-side first, even if they
don't appear to be involved in the decision making process - they may
bring it up with the CEO in a inter-departmental meeting themselves.

And lastly, make it look professional! The report itself should be at
least 3 or 4 pages long, fill it with hard-to-know bullshit if
necessary, and put a concise executive summary at the start, including
all the salient pay-back figures.

Oh and one final point, you can put a little fat into the request so
you've got something to cut out if necessary, ie. Software Assurance,
working spares, etc.

For ideas about what is the best/cheapest reliable setup check the list
archives. In my opinion it should include as a minimum battery-backed
hardware RAID, ECC RAM and one-tape full daily backups. And get the
fastest processor you can afford on a two processor mainboard so you
have a easy upgrade path, preferrably Xeons if looking at 2003
server/exchange.

Jamie.