Understanding Exchange

  • From: "Norman Khine" <norman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 18:28:33 +0100

I am very new to MS Exchange 5.5, and would like some clarifications or
pointers in the right direction;^), of how exchange talks!

I have a network connected to the Internet via an ADSL connector with a static
IP, the ADSL router is then connected to Symantec Firewall/VPN 100, which
inturn is connected to the Network.

The network, has an NT4 running MSExchange 5.5, now this machine has a local IP
address and the VPN has an address, what I can't
understand is is the process in which email sent from any address outside the
internal network is routed via my ISP to the Exchange box?

I have a single POP account at my ISP, then any emai to anyone@xxxxxxxxx is
sent to the ISP/ or is this sent directly to the Exchange Server on my network?

Which should be the correct way, should exchange connect to the ISP and
collects the mail? or do i use the ISP as a secondary mail server, so that if
the server fails the mail is routed directly there? If this is the case, how
does exchange checks for these emails - where do I set it on the Exchange
configuration. Any good how-tos?

Anyhow thanks