[ExchangeList] Unable to change password through Outlook

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:08:24 -0500

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------What are the minimum
requirements to enable users - who are accessing
Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003 from non-domain member PC - change
their password through Outlook?

Scenario:

Windows XP & 2000 client logs into SAMBA-based domain via Mitel SME
(e-smith) Linux server, opens Outlook 2003 SP2 with MAPI profile
pointing to Exchange Server, user clicks on the "Change password"
button and they receive a generic error that they are unable to change
their password.  No security logs (default Win2003 audit levels) are
written to the DC in question.

Systems involved:
Server: Windows Server 2003 SP1 with Exchange Server 2003 SP2
Client: Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

I have setup the OWA change password facility, but this is not
sufficient especially when the "Change password"  button (sometimes)
is there but does not work.

Thanks,

...D