RE: Two domains at one site..

  • From: "Tim Jordan" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:08:02 -0900

Okay, I'll fill in a few blanks.

1. This is a non-profit project..$

2. These domains are for a medical practices and the powers at be say
keep the domains separated.

3. I actually have two sites and three domains:
        Site A - domain_A

        Site B - domain_B
                   domain_C

4. Connectivity between the two sites is unreliable.  They are in a
remote area of Alaska and the ISP bandwidth is limited.

Now with Site B I can't see why the SBS servers would complain if they
are not on the same subnet:

Domain_B--->nic1
(192.168.1.1/24)--->switch--->workstations.domain_b.local
Domain_B--->nic2 (192.168.2.2/24)--->firewall--->ISP

Domain_C--->nic1
(192.168.3.0/24)--->switch--->workstations.domain_c.local
Domain_C--->nic2 (192.168.2.3/24)--->firewall--->ISP

Nic2 on both SBS servers will be going into a Netscreen 5GT (firewall).

In regards to the Exchange configuration.  It looks like I need to look
into smtp connector instead of relaying or do these components work
together?  I like John's idea about a dedicated SMTP server to
relay/forward to the proper domain but that is just not an option right
now so I'm curious if I can just configure one of the Exchange server
(domain_b) to receive mail for it's domain and then relay/forward mail
for domain_c.

Thanks for the discussion!
TJ