RE: Transfering mail boxes from exchange 5.5 to ex change 2000 server

  • From: "Cresswell, Charles" <charlesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:42:00 -0000

you need to set up Active Directory Connector on the EX2000 box and join the
exchange 2000 server to the same exchange site as the 5.5 server. Then there
is a simple wizard to migrate mail boxes and public folders across to the
Exchange 2000 server. I recently completed this on my own network (it even
works with the servers in different domains with a normal trust agreement).

there are some white papers on MS site which give detailed instructions on
setting up and using ADC, and the migration process. read them thoroughly,
including the schema steps you need to complete on your EX2000 box.

the process is completely invisible to users except its probably an idea to
migrate mailboxes when they arent connected with their mail client, but you
dont need to do them all at once. My migration lasted over a period of about
a month. A nice extra feature i found during the migration is that the
wizard automatically updates the home server setting in their Outlook (97
and up at least) settings.

The important thing is to keep detailed logs of who is at what stage if you
do it slowly. ADC makes win2000 AD accounts look like they are mail enabled
and contain the mail store so its easy to forget who is still on the 5.5
server. Also ADC makes a few changes to the domain accounts to enable smooth
transfer including at least one security group and a registry change. this
should be automatic but the latter needs a reboot of the 5.5 server.

charles cresswell