RE: Transactions Logs

  • From: "Carson Reid" <creid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:10:41 -0500

Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Walkowiak, Matt [mailto:Matt.Walkowiak@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 11:06 AM
To: [ExchangeList]
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Transactions Logs - Re-Vamped!

The logs get purged only when they are not needed any longer.  When you
do a full backup, it commits the logs to the Exchange database, then
purges the logs.  Now if you want to restore, you only need the last
full backup.  If you do a incremental or differential backup after the
full backup, it is my understanding that the log files do NOT get
purged.  I or D backups only get what has changed since the last full,
but I don't believe they clear the logs (I could be wrong on those,

When you restore, you use the Full tape first, then restore any log
files you have, THEN start the exchange services.  Exchange will then
read the log files and get the database back to the point of last

So to answer your question, you do not need to worry about old backups
if you do a Full.

Matt Walkowiak