RE: Tracking mails--Author again :)

  • From: Praveen Ramaswamy <ramaswamy_praveen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ExchangeList\]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 01:15:16 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with you Rick and others who have similar approach towards virus
prevention. Even my approach is more or less the same. However for example:
Lets say one PC is has not patched because the user was on leave and he
switched of the PC. And when the user returns and switch on the PC there is a
high chance of this PC getting infected. Now if this PC is infected with virus
and starts sending out mails people in address book then Antivirus on Exchange
server will filter these mails. But there will be wastage of server resource to
process this unwanted mails. Also I have set a policy that I get a notification
if such virus mails come to the server, so I get about 50 such mail in a day.
Currently I am facing this problem.

We have decent patch and antivirus management in place but still you know it is
not 100 %. So given the above scenario if I get the sender host IP address it
will be easy to identify the PC and apply the required patch through patch
manager.

So please let me know how to do this on Exchange 2003 server. I am sure this
will be basic feature of any Mail server but I am not able to figure out this
on Exchange 2003.

Best regards

Praveen R

Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:http://www.MSExchange.org/
So ? I get the idea that you want to have a response plan if one of these hits
? you should have such a plan.  But you?re missing the boat if you really think
that pulling a single PC off the network is the plan you should be using.  The
whole idea behind the attack vector you are bringing up is that by the time you
have identified and pulled that one PC ? twenty others are already infected and
doing the same thing.  You?d need to assign one tech to unplugging NICs.  Very
poor efficiency in an enterprise environment.

As John has said, you handle this by proactively securing your back-end
systems, in cooperation with several other important steps.  Doing this
prevents a single (or ten, or fifty) rogue systems from taking down that back
end.  An ?approaches to AV? discussion can become a religious experience, but
the basic rule I like is multiple lines of defense (defense in depth) that
includes properly patched and secured systems at the borders, on the back-end,
and on the desktop.  (As an aside, in my experience most religious fervor comes
from the subject of placing an AV engine on Exchange servers or not ?
personally I am in favor of having an Exchange AV engine in place as it adds
one more level of defense ? and I?ll leave it at that for the moment)

The single line item you are discussing, while nominally useful, should be
around number 45 on your list of the top 100 things to do if a virus hits.  You
need to build your desktop and server infrastructure in such a way that a
single infected system just, well, doesn?t matter.

On 7/6/05 3:26 AM, "John Tolmachoff (Lists)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

http://www.MSExchange.org/
You could use the SMTP Virtual server log. However, most MM viruses use a built
in SMTP engine and send directly to the recipient server as identified by MX
record. The ones that do indeed use the locally configured SMTP server
(configured in Outlook etc.) do not authenticate, so if you Exchange server is
properly configured to force authentication before sending, that will stop
them. Of course, in the case of the other type, you are blocking port 25
to/from the Internet except to/from your Exchange server, correct?

John T
eServices For You